Friday, October 20

Gingerbread House Festival


Has anyone heard of or been to the Gingerbread House Festival before? Eric Dowdle, the folk artist, is the founder. Every year people make gingerbread houses to donate which are shown at the barn at Thanksgiving Point. They then have an auction and the houses are "sold" to the highest bid. All the money earned goes to children's charities. I make a house for this every year. It is so much fun. I had my scout group do it too (just for you Michelle), and it was one of our funnest activities. It also go them thinking about helping others. I love going and seeing all the houses that other people make and donate and get ideas for my own. This year it will be November 9th through 13th. Committment forms should be filled out by October 21st, but they are not real strict on that because they want as many houses as they can get. You can get forms and more information at www.gingerbreadfestival.org. (Sorry I don't know how to do links)




These were a couple that we did last year. I did a nativity scene. I poured chocolate molds and then did a stable. The good thing is you can make it as simple or extravagant as you like. Last year I ran out of time so didn't get to do as much as I wanted, but it still turned out okay.

Is anyone interested in this? Perhaps we could get together and do a house as a group. Let me know if you are and I will try to put something together.

8 comments:

jenny said...

That looks really fun. We don't have anything like that around San Antonio (at least I don't think) What a fun activity for kids!

Jill said...

It sounds like you're a fun scout leader.

I have no gingerbread skills whatsoever.

Julie said...

Well Jill,

I guess we each have to be creative in our own way. I have not card/scrapbooking skills. I am always amazed at the stuff you show on your blog.

Amy said...

Oh how fun! I've always wanted to make a gingerbread house a la Martha Stewart, with the candy windows and light inside, but it's not going to be this year, unfortuantely. I have a very rigorous schedule of travel and family visits and getting ready for Christmas over the next two months. I'm only going to to be free and unfettered for about 15 days out of the next 60. I'm tired just thinking about it. I hope you post pictures of your gingerbread house. I love seeing the amazing things people do!

Bond Girl 007 said...

wow....i don't think i have ever done anything with ginger but stir fry!

Amie said...

The gingerbread houses sound fun. I buy the kits at Costco, I have no skills.

We love the Parade of Homes Thanksgiving Point does for the kids but I haven't heard of the gingerbread houses.

Bond Girl 007 said...

where are you?

everything pink! said...

so great! thanks for sharing