Wednesday, June 7

History

Since most of you don't know me very well I thought I'd write a little overview for you of who I am. I love to read, listen to music, watch/play sports, go to plays, travel, garden, and craft a little. I am not really a crafty person, I have a hard time coming up with ideas. But if you give me a kit with instructions, boy can I get that done. Pathetic hu? I have traveled all over the world. I have been to Canada, Mexico, England, Scotland, France, Ireland, Japan, and many places in the United States. I once took a week long trip to New York with a group to go see broadway plays. That was one of my favorites. I got to see 6 plays in the time I was there, I was in heaven.

I married my husband in April, 1999. We have now been married 7 years. Am I feeling the itch? No, he is the best thing that ever happened to me. He is so great and so supportive. Sometimes when he comes home and sees I've had a rough day, he will take the kids and go to the library or the store and just let me have time to myself. He's the best.

Our daughter Jessica was born in April, 2000. She is a beautiful little girl who is so loving and sweet. She has had a rough life though, she started having seizures when she was 9 months old. They started with ear infections and fevers and have progressed now to around 70 a month. They are mostly while she's sleeping now, but they have cause her to have developmental delay, balance, and coordination problems. She is six and functions at about a 3 yr. old level. We have taken her all over the country for help and nobody can find any reason why they can't control her seizures. In April we took her to UCLA to see if they could to surgery to remove part of her brain, and they thought she looked promising, but then decided she wasn't a great candidate. So we continute to try new things and work with her at home therapy daily.

I had a picture of the kids I tried to put here, but it's not working. So hopefully I will update that soon.

Our son Matthew was born April, 2002. I know, I know -- What is it with the month of April? Anyway, he is a great little boy. He is such a good helper with Jessica and does and says the funniest things all the time. The other day I was helping him put on his belt and I put it in backwards. He said "Mom, that's how girls put it on, boys put it on the other side." I said "Mattie, how do you know that?" He said "Dad told me, he knows lots about girls." I laughed so hard. What a crack up he is. He is also our little daredevil. He doesn't pay attention when he is doing these crazy things and got his second set of stitches in his head last sunday. He bonked it on the handle of the screen door while he was going out. Funniest thing about that is, he just had stitches about 6 weeks ago and his scab from the first set came off when he hit his head to need the second set. Poor little guy.

Have your kids every had stitches? Do they get it from you?
What is the craziest things you've ever had to deal with?

4 comments:

Bond Girl 007 said...

hey it is great to hear from you! Oh I thought for sure Jessica would qualify for the surgery! say hi to your mom!lk

Jill said...

I'm so glad you wrote this little history. I had no idea that Jessica was having seizures. How scary. I hope you find something to help her, that must have been very frustrating to come so close to that surgery and then have them tell you she's not a good candidate for it.

Matthew sounds very cute and funny. Fortunately my kids aren't wild ones that get injured often. It seems like kids either are or aren't with little in-between doesn't it? None of us have had any stitches or anything. Whitney's eye surgery in March was the only thing we've had to deal with, and it went well (though we're still paying for it).

Amie said...

I just wanted to tell you that I loved your comment on Jill's post about kindness...very touching.

I am glad you wrote this little history. It seems like a good idea for everyone to do (or do again) now that the circle is expanding, I feel a little lost.

My son knew that about belts too...crazy! So far we have gotten out of stitches but my son is crazy, lots of bumps, fat lips, etc though. It makes me nervous!!!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your history, thanks for opening your life to us, many of whom you don't know. Your kids are darling, too bad about the surgery, have you looked in to the possibility of a vagal nerve stimulator? I don't know if she's big enough or if she has enough seizures a day, but worth checking into.
I grew up in a family that was busy and rowdy, we always had stitches or broken bones, the Lehi ambulance knows my sisters address by heart because of her kids.