Monday, July 3

Share The Bounty



This little shack sits on the side of the road across the street from our house. It is the neatest idea. We live in a large farming community and so when people have excess, mostly during the summer, they put it in this shack and others driving by can stop and have their choice of fruits and vegetables for free.



When we first moved into this area it was really run down, but the Elder's Quorum in our ward rebuilt it and put the siding on. It is now much nicer. Everything from live chickens, to vegetables, to buckets of fruit off the trees is available, and it never stays long. If you drive by and there is something there, you'd better stop because it won't be there when you come back. Often there are notes left by people who give thanks to those who share, because they can't afford to buy the food, or are in hard times, etc.
I just think this is a great service and think there should be more things like this in the world. What do you all think about it?

6 comments:

Amy said...

That really is a cool idea! I've never heard of anything like that. It is a great way to do service and allow people who are in need to receive help without feeling awkward about it. It's also a wonderful way to get farm fresh produce--yummm!

Jill said...

I think that's a great idea, very community building in a love-your-neighbor kind of way. I wish we had something like that around here.

In my parents' neighborhood people sometimes put thing out in front of their house to give away. My dad puts a wagon full of stuff from his garden for people to take, and once had a sign for free goats (which Amie's husband took and gave to some of his employees).

Jana said...

I've never heard of anything like it. What an amazing idea. I don't think that we realize how many people truly are in need of help.

Anonymous said...

This is such a great idea! I love it and I bet you have had some awesome produce!

Anonymous said...

I love it, what a great idea and an easy way to serve and be served. We had something similar to that in California, a bush we could check under for freshly picked melons. Yum, I long for the days of good fresh fruit.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.